Got shocked pretty hard today working on a center pivot. Made some mistakes and took a short cut and got nailed. I could have really gotten hurt, I wasn't. I've got to stop working stuff hot. The reason you work it hot is so you can check things with power and find out what the problem is, it's not the same when the power is off. I really got lucky today. I keep getting lucky and I think somebody's watching out for me. What really makes me mad is that I have a pair of hot gloves rated for 1000 volts, they were sitting in the truck! I'm going to start using them when I'm working a hot panel. It could be the difference between life and death. I was in a hurry to get to the next pivot appointment I had and didn't want take the extra time to turn off the power so I just worked it hot. I do this a lot. This time my hand brushed up against something I didn't even see. It could have killed me, I took it right through the chest. Worst case scenario for sure. If I would have slid down the ladder I would have really gotten hurt. If I had fallen off the pivot I'd have really gotten hurt. If my heart would have stopped....well, not good. I don't know if the farmer watching me knew CPR or not. I have a dangerous life, that's all there is to it.
The life & times of my electrical world!