In doing so, I was focused on the old motor that had been unhooked and moved aside, and a spare had been hooked up to the panel and was running. The old burned motor was sitting on the ground next to the motor and pump that were running.
So, Since the old motor was removed and unhooked, in my mind the panel was dead and powered off. That was a major mistake! It was hot and running the other pump!
In the photo to the left, you see the 'E68' number stamped on the overload heater, and the screw hole? I reached in and put my screw driver tip on the screw, and then reached in with my left had and grabbed the screw driver shank to guide it onto the screw. It was hot 120 volts and began arching as the screw loosened up. BUT I NEVER GOT SHOCKED! I realized what I had done and couldn't figure out why? I put my meter on the screw driver and to ground and sure enough it was hot, 120 volts. I was standing right there on the dirt and never felt a thing. I should have taken a good jolt, but didn't. So you say, "you weren't grounded through your shoes". Well, I was grounded. I always conduct and get shocked when this happens. Not this day, not one tingle at all, nothing! The ground around there was not that dry either, it was actually moist. I really feel I had a Guardian Angel that day, I truly do!