On the drive home, it was just nagging me about the readings I saw with my meter. I began doubting my diagnoses. This could have been a costly mistake for my customer if I was wrong. A $1000 dollar motor shipped, plus shipping costs! I got home and decided to go all the way back, to Mancos, to re check the circuit!
I got back to the shop and devised a test for the control contactors by jumping out a couple circuits, and was able to press the start button, and not actually apply power to the motor, but just let the control bring on the contactors to simulate a normal start. Everything checked out perfectly! I had made the right call after all! I also learned a great deal about wye/delta starting for large, 3 phase AC motors! A good day after all.